Tuesday, September 19, 2023

My wife and I were in Europe for the past two weeks (The Netherlands, Belgium and France) and that gave me the opportunity to meet quite a few animation artists, historians and collectors with whom I had only corresponded by email until now.

In Groningen, I met with Jan-Willem de Vries. I had both the Dutch and English versions of his biography of Disney comic artist Daan Jippes and loved it.

What I did not know is that Jan-Willem has also written quite a few artbooks about the history of the Dutch animation and comic studio Toonder. Those are not Disney-related but they are so beautiful and so impressive that I have to show some of them here.

If you speak Dutch (or are willing to read those heavily-illustrated books using Google Translate) those books are well-worth buying if you can find copies. I cannot say enough good things about them.





 

No comments: