Friday, April 18, 2014

I have just received my review copy of Charles Solomon's book about The Art of Disney Golden Books. This beautiful book is all that I expected: the text is a little bit too light for my tastes (for an in-depth history of the Golden Books, pick up Leonard Marcus' seminal volume, Golden Legacy: How Golden Books Won Children's Hearts, Changed Publishing Forever, and Became An American Icon Along the Way), but the nonetheless very well-written text is not why the book exists. Its heart is clearly the artwork, which is reproduced beautifully and which you have never seen this way before.

From my standpoint, the pieces of art by Bianca Majolie for the Surprise Package book and the illustrations by Mary Blair justify in themselves owning this beautiful volume.

No comments: