Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I am reading these days a fascinating manuscript in Portuguese by Celbi Pegoraro about Disney and Brazil. The first chapter describes in great details a meeting between Walt and movie exhibitor Dr. Marcondes Alves de Souza Jr. in 1934. Dr. Marcondes is delivering to Walt an homage to Mickey sculpted by Alfredo Herculano.

I had this mysterious photo in my archives but only understood it thanks to Celbi's upcoming book. I will talk a lot more about that book when the time comes.

5 comments:

Mark Sonntag said...

This is a really nice photo, thanks for sharing it Didier. I look forward to knowing more about the book you mentioned.

Hans Perk said...

I always wondered about that statue! Thanks for the image and the story--I posted a closeup on my blog!

DisneyDave said...

Yes, the Walt Disney Family Foundation has that award on show in one of their big display cases. It is a beautiful piece of work. The sculpture currently resides in a showcase in the Foundation's warehouse facility.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize Red from That 70s Show knew Walt.

Unknown said...

Great photo. I think Celbi is doing a great job in his uncoming book. There is a loto of photos of Disney and Brazil.