Speaking of comics, here is a great email I received yesterday from Are Myklebust:
"Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories # 58, July 1945, had a very special cover. A part of the cover was a flag with a text inside addressed to the American People, signed by seven U.S. military leaders.
I was wondering who they where, so after some research I have identified them all;
1) George C. Marshall (1880 - 1959), general. U.S. Army (and later secretary of state).
2) William D. Leahy (1875 - 1959), admiral, U.S. Navy.
3) Douglas MacArthur (1880 - 1964), general, Commander in chief in the Pacific.
4) Ernest Joseph King (1878 - 1956), admiral, USN.
5) Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969), Supreme commander of the Allied Forces in Europe (and later U.S. President).
6) Chester W. Nimitz (1885 - 1966), admiral, USN.
7) Henry Harky Arnold (1886 - 1950), general, U.S. Army Air Forces.
The cover itself, drawn by Walt Kelly, was inspired by Archibald M. Willard’s famous painting “The Spirit of ’76” and /or the cover of Mickey Mouse Magazine, July 1939 (Vol. 4, # 10)."