Monday, July 18, 2016

I just received Disney Villains - Delightfully Evil by Jen Darcy. I was hoping that the book might be full of never-seen-before artwork and new information. Unfortunately it is a re-packaging of what most of us have already seen a million times before.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice product that should sell well. It's a nice gift for families who have kids with an interest in Disney or for collectors with a passing interest in the art of Disney.

For Disney historians and true Disney history enthusiasts, however, this book is clearly not a "must have". If you do not already own it and want a great book on the same subject, do not forget to pick up The Disney Villain by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, which remains a classic.

2 comments:

Christian S. said...

I have some favorite villains, and that's Jafar from Aladdin, and Chernobog from Fantasia. But the Evil Queen and Maleficent also comes to mind among other favorites. I say thanks to Bill Tytla, Art Babbitt, Marc Davis and Andreas Deja for bringing them to life.

I believe The Disney Villain is the best Disney book about the creation of these characters, but I haven't read the book yet. I recall one was for sale in an Antiquatian book store, but someone was ahead of me in purchasing it when I didn't had the chance. So I'm still searching

Wobble The Witch Cat said...

I'm so disappointed to read that this new Disney Villains book is a missed opportunity for the classic Disney Villains deserve a really great book in a large format Coffee Table book it's such a pity that the company has allowed a poor job to be done on what could have been a really great volume! Thank you for your great Blog Didier!