Monday, May 16, 2011


This just in by Greg Heberlein:

[I bought a Walt-autographed Simon & Shuster Art of Animation last year from Howard Lowery. Since there was no dust jacket, I shopped for another copy so I could put a dust jacket on the autographed copy. The second book turned out to be a 1958 Golden Press publication, the one in which the dust jacket matches the Golden Press book's cover as well as the Simon & Shuster dust jacket. Do you know anything about how the Golden Press edition came to be? Although mine has a 1958 publication date, it includes material into the early 1960s.]

Could anyone answer that question?

4 comments:

Matt said...

While I don't have specifics on when and why the GP edition came about, S&S and GP are two imprints of the same company. It may be that, as with the Golden Books, this title merely changed imprint in this later printing.

Hans Perk said...

Since there is no edition information, and all editions say copyright 1958, the only way to keep them apart is looking on the last page of text. The first editions speaks of One Hundred and One Dalmatians, the second series mentions The Sword in the Stone, the third (and last) series mentions The Jungle Book.

Floyd Norman said...

This is truly a great book and I still remember the day it shipped. I took my copy upstairs to have it autographed by Walt Disney himself.

I still have that book today. It's autographed to me by the Old Maestro himself. A treasure.

John Stanley Donaldson said...

Golden Press was formed in 1958, as a partnership between the Western Printing and Lithographing Company and Affiliated Publishers, a subsidiary of Pocket Books; acquiring, for reprint, an extensive list of titles from Simon & Schuster, who had decided to concentrate on adult and literary works.