Monday, May 19, 2008

Servants' Entrance



If you have read this blog from the start, you may remember this post, in which I mentioned Servants’ Entrance (1934) from Fox, which contains a six minute long animated nightmare sequence in b/w made by the Disney Studio.

A very serious collector from Paris that I met last week was kind enough to give it to me as a birthday gift. Here it is for all of you to enjoy.

The live-action section of the clip is also fascinating. Did anyone say Snow White?

4 comments:

Dan said...

This is quite entertaining still today. Thanks for posting. It must have been quite advanced for it's time.

Michael J. Ruocco said...

Wow, that's a pretty rare piece! I've never seen this before!

The live action bit is very close to Snow White. There also looks like there's a little bit of Pluto's Judgement Day thrown in there too. I can also recognize Pinto Colvig & Billy Bletcher's voices in the sequence. I wonder who had a part in animating this scene (I'm guessing Norm Ferguson or Dick Lundy had a part in it).


Thank you & your French collector friend for sharing this with us. A real treat, indeed!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I mentioned it and your blog over on the Channel Frederator blog. Keep up the great posts, and I'm looking forward to your Warner blog as well.

Andy Norton said...

That was something we don't see or hear much about Disney animation from the 1930s. It certainly had that Silly Symphonies look to the animation.

What's the rest of the film like? This looks like a curiousity from the 1930s to look out for.